Jul 14, 2008

Buyer's Remorse: or how I came to love Betsey!


Here is a short tid-bit on the incomparable B.J.

Betsey Johnson (born 10 August 1942 in Wethersfield, Connecticut) is a fashion designer best known for her feminine and whimsical designs. She also is known for doing a cartwheel at the end of her fashion shows. She took many dance classes as a child and adolescent which inspired her love of costumes. After high school, Johnson studied at the Pratt Institute and then later graduated from Syracuse University where she was a member of the Alpha Xi Delta sorority.[1]

In 1968 she married Velvet Underground's John Cale. They divorced later in the year. She had a daughter, Lulu, in 1975 who now works with her and a granddaughter Layla.

She resides in New York but spends time in a house she owns in Mexico, which she named "Villa Betsey". Betsey also converted an old, small hotel in Mexico into a house which she rents out to interested people; this is called "Betseyville", and can accommodate 8–10 people.

____________________________________

Not all of Betsey's stuff is for me - but for those of you that know my style (in general) you could guess that I might feel an affinity for her playful and sweet design details.

Here is one of her new items that caught my eye as I was returning something at Macy's: (with my love of Aquatic Life that rivals "The Zissou" who could wonder?)




She also had a great beaded bracelet that caught my eye, but it was heavy and wide and slid right off my arm. (I gotta beef up a little...)


In other mid-level design news, I really like Hale Bob shoes right now - These puppies caught my eye and took over my judgment and also resulted in a quick return before I could wear them out of the "house".




You can't tell in this photo but the flowers and the beads are really sparkley.

I feel like I am 10 again, in my room, playing dress up, and hiding my jewelry from the neighbor boys all over again, thanks to a 66 year old, and a clever play off of probably the most widely observed comet of the twentieth century, and one of the brightest seen for many decades.

Here is to bright and playful people and ideas everywhere! Cheers!

1 comment: