Oct 9, 2008

Pre-Review: Blue Like Jazz

I have only just begun to read this book, and already I am captivated, mystified by how the author illuminates sensations and notions from his youth up to his current perspectives. Don't get me wrong, He's no James Joyce, but this may be the best writing I have experienced from the contemporary Christian realm in, maybe, ever.

So far my favorite quotes:

"I started wondering if we could actually change the world. I mean, of course we could -- we could change our buying habits, elect socially conscious representatives and that sort of thing, but I honestly don't believe we will be solving the greater human conflict with out efforts. The problem is not a certain type of legislation or even a certain politician, the problem is the same that it has always been. I am the problem."

"I think every well-adjusted human being has dealt squarely with his or her own depravity. I realize this sounds very Christian, very fundamentalist and browbeating, but I want to tell you that this part of what the Christians are saying is true. I think Jesus feels strongly about communicating the idea of our brokenness, and I think it is worth reflection."


No comments:

Post a Comment