Aug 13, 2010

NOT HAWAII

Carmel - by - the - Sea

You know that saying about not knowing what you have until it's gone? Well, I've been learning lessons like this one in TROVES since moving to New York. I took the above picture on a recent day trip to the beach while visiting my parentals on the west coast. I grew up visiting this place fairly regularly and - I have to admit - I took the natural beauty of California completely for granted. Now, don't get me wrong - I LOVE NY! It's just that I really did not have the ability to enjoy what I had on the west coast, when I had it.

It probably doesn't help that it's allure has been sweetened by tinkling little voices that call out "Aunt Bonnie!" and the harsh extremes of all kinds that I have had to adapt to along the eastern sea board. For example: I can not WAIT for fall - the first chill in my bones to tell me leaves will carpet the parks soon enough, and apple picking will be called for. However the months and MONTHS of dark, cold, darkness and coldness that follows - not so much my favorite!

People are always asking me "How do you like New York?" and "Do you think you'll stay?" in one form or another... although my parents have, thankfully, dropped this topic. Why bemoan such a lot? or maybe you're thinking "Why ever leave CA?" For me, it all boils down to relationships/community. The fact is, weather right or wrong - I now live 3,000 miles from many of my dearly beloveds. And for whatever reason, I found myself here. I've started to love some people as best as I can, and build a friend-family along the way. It is a lot of work, to be honest. It's rough, most days. And, yes! I would love hopping in the car to see some folks that I only see once or twice a year now. But I am here. I love it. But there are no guarantees for tomorrow either way.

All I am saying is that: We may find ourselves in unexpected locations, situations, relationships, etc... but for our own sanity and sanctity I hope we can deconstruct our circumstances to just love those around us, and wait patiently for what is to be (will be).

No comments:

Post a Comment