May 27, 2010

"ex-church" ...An Abomination?

27 He will confirm a covenant with many for one 'seven.' a]">[a] In the middle of the 'seven' b]">[b] he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on a wing of the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him. c]">[c] " d]">[d]
Daniel 9:27 (New International Version)

Earlier this week I was walking down 6th avenue in Manhattan and was about to pass a small chapel that I had overlooked many times before. It had once been a running church...then a working nightclub, and now - it has re-opened as a small mall full of the novelty items that mid-town Manhattan shoppers seem to like to purchase, (but may regret later.)

While glancing around the space, looking for traces of the original architecture, I felt a little sick. It was a mass post-modern juxtaposition one-liner, a joke! White walls against oak banisters and bits of stone archway... However being able to climb one of many staircases to the level of lit-up stained glass work was an unusual treat.

My friend who had directed me to poke my head in shared my sentiment by stating that he was glad for it being kept up, (landscaping et al) but that it was shameful that it's original parishioners could not care for the space as well as those who belong to the religion of commerce.

http://www.limelightmarketplace.com

Take a look at the site^ or stop by if you will. Come to your own conclusion, but in this instance, I think Nora Ephron said it best...

People are always saying that change is a good thing. But all they're really saying is that something you didn't want to happen at all... has happened. [...]in a week it'll be something really depressing, like a Baby Gap. Soon, it'll be just a memory. In fact, someone, some foolish person, will probably think it's a tribute to this city, the way it keeps changing on you, the way you can never count on it, or something. I know because that's the sort of thing I'm always saying. But the truth is... I'm heartbroken. I feel as if a part of me has died, [...]
- Kathleen Kelly, You've Got Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment